Building over Agreement Thames Water

Registration fees usually cost around £300 (see your local water supplier`s website). The construction work itself is usually quite simple, unless you need to divert the sewer or build new replacement wells. There may also be a few small additional costs to create suitable drawings for the application. Download our brochure to learn more about building over a sewer. We recommend that you route piping around any proposed building or extension. If you can`t, run all the pipes and fittings under the building so that they are accessible for repair. If any of the plants are outside your borders, please read the artwork near our pipes. When planning your construction work, you should check if there are pipelines nearby. If this is the case, you may need our consent before the work begins. You must then apply to us in accordance with the 2010 Building Code. These are enforced by local authorities, but they have a duty to consult us if they know that a sewer system could be over-built.

For this reason, there are Thames Water Build Over agreements that are typically required for the proposed structure to receive a certificate of completion for building codes, also known as the “signature” of building codes. In some situations, there may be a temptation to proceed with the construction of the extension without prior consent, especially if the proposed foundation only penetrates a few centimeters into the established 3 m exclusion zone around the sewer. The problem is that if the water company becomes aware of this violation and perhaps receives approval from the control of the building, it could force you to stop working on site or even destroy any building built above the public sewer system. We may need to do additional research for sewers with a diameter greater than 375 mm. This may delay approval. Learn more about the process. Wells cannot be rebuilt due to the increased risk of flooding and odour problems caused by internal wells. Whenever possible, trees should be removed and passed.

If it is not possible to construct a well outside a building, we can discuss alternatives when we receive your application. When it comes to building codes, it is important to note that when you submit your application for building control, you are not allowed to use the abbreviation method “Notice of Construction” if you are proposing to build above or near a public sewer. If you have a well in the footprint of your planned extension or within a radius of 3 meters, it is likely that you will need to submit an application. However, if the drainage only serves your property, it will be classified as a private drain and will not require a permit to overbuild. As you can do from the details above, you will need a lot of complex information, most of which cannot be collected until we are on site and have exposed the drainage. That`s why we tackle all these on-premises apps and don`t worry, they don`t delay the build process at all. Thames Water is reliable when it comes to getting an answer and, in the meantime, we can simply focus on another part of enlargement. It is also possible to divert the sewer to avoid expansion. This requires professional design input and you will always need to obtain prior consent from the water company.

It is also likely that it will prove to be relatively costly and potentially disruptive. While your contractors are often allowed to do the work, which should help reduce costs, the reason for this is that if you first receive the agreement and then need to make changes to the plans during the planning process, you may need to reapply for a construction agreement because the proposals would have changed. A construction agreement is required by water companies for all construction work through public sewers or within 3 m of a sewer. This obligation is even anchored as a federal government in the deeds of some more modern real estate. We need to know about the construction work that passes over or near a public sewer in order to: We will also not allow the construction of pumps, upright pipes or sewers. A thames Water Build Over agreement is a seal of approval for proposed work and is usually required for any excavation work within 3 metres of a sewer or public drain. If the extension is above a sewer pipe, you need to have a break in the foundation and install a concrete lintel to fill the gap in the foundation. It is best to know where the piping is when designing the building in order to avoid delays and additional costs. Don`t worry if you don`t know how to do it – we`re here to help. The first point to note is that a construction agreement only applies to sewers and public drains.

“Mapped” public sewers are those that appear on the map of public sewers maintained by your local water and wastewater company that you can visit and inspect. You can also speak to a property search provider, including our property search team, to order an “asset location search” for your property. There is a fee for the supply. Take our online questionnaire and find out if you qualify for a free self-certified construction agreement. This Agreement is free of charge and will be sent to you immediately by e-mail. First, try to find your property in Or. Head to your municipal offices and take a look at their canal maps. These cards may not tell you exactly where and what the pipes are.

Thus…. We suggest involving professionals and paying for a CCTV drainage survey. Expect to pay only around £200 for this service. TIP: This is also a great opportunity to check the condition of your sewer pipes, and you can save £££££ on project delays. For sewers with a diameter greater than 160 mm, you must inform us when the construction work is completed so that we can order a CCTV examination after construction to check the condition of the sewer. We will review the CCTV investigation material before granting approval. There are many components for every construction, large or small. We understand that starting on the ground can be overwhelming, and we`re here every step of the way to support you in every way possible. A common question we receive concerns Thames Water and build over agreements.

If you are building within three metres of a public sewer, you must notify Thames Water and obtain their permission for the proposed work. This is something we can absolutely help with and we can make sure that all the correct information and documentation reaches Thames Water. If you cannot answer with certainty any of the questions in our online questionnaire or the questions above, or if you know that you are not eligible, you will need an approved construction agreement. If the proposed work involves construction on top of a well, this must be disclosed in your construction application on. Thames Water wants to know if pipes or wells are laid. If you need to move pipes or wells, they must be completely removed and rebuilt outside the expansion area. Without our permission, your local authority cannot provide a certificate of completion for building codes. This could cause problems if you are trying to sell your property, as a buyer`s lawyer might warn you that the building has been extended over or near a sewer without our permission. If you are building on top of or near a domestic sewer 160 mm or less in diameter and can prove that your plans pose a low risk to the pipe, we may be able to issue a self-certified construction agreement. If you have a construction agreement for a domestic sewer with a diameter not exceeding 160 mm (6″), you can proceed with the approved work.

I have always been interested in architecture, especially skyscrapers and unusual buildings. I studied Economics, Politics and Law at Dublin City University and obtained my Ma`a degree in Globalisation and International Law. I passed my exams to become a lawyer, but I soon realized that the legal sector was not for me and I wanted to work in a more creative industry. I moved from Ireland to London five years ago and worked in the property management and development industry before joining the design team. The Dancing House in Prague is probably my favorite building. Any excavation work within 3 meters of a sewer or public drain requires a Thames Water Build Over agreement. Given the density of construction in London and other cities, this likely means that any work you wish to do on your property, including excavations, will likely require Thames Water`s review and approval. Changing the design of the extension to avoid the sewer is an option to ensure that the new building is at least 3 m from it. This is usually the simplest and cheapest option, but it`s only really doable with extensions where your original design didn`t reach too far into the 3m area, so a small overhaul can solve the problem. However, such changes may also need to be notified to the local planning authority. CBA applications are usually processed within three weeks.

Once the agreement is granted, you can start working immediately. .

Posted in Uncategorized